CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, March 8, 2014

Just a Bunch of Tubes

Last week, during our Dr. Seuss week, I had this "great idea" to do something with empty paper towel and toilet tissue rolls.  You know those lovely tubes that "you just can't throw away".  I have everyone collecting these for me so I have quite a large supply.  Alas, my "great idea" just never came to be.  There were so many other things that I wanted to do that week so I crammed all the empty cardboard tubes into my closet for another day.  Well, this past week I was in the mood for something different.  Right after lunch on Wednesday I pulled out my stash and dumped it on our tables.  I had already punched holes into each end of all the tubes (I know, but it was a great way for me use up some nervous energy) and added some chenille sticks (better know to us old folks as "pipe cleaners") and stepped back.  OH MY GOODNESS, we had fun!!!





Can you see the look on the little boy's face in the stripped shirt?
He just realized how to connect the tubes so they would not fall apart!


 
Of course for the first few minutes I heard, "what do we do?" and "I can't!" but soon those negative comments turned into "LOOK Mrs. Karen!".  I knew they were having fun!  I loved watching my sweet "S" when she realized how to bend the pipe cleaners so that the tubes would stay together.  That was all it took!  Soon everyone was busy building their very own sculptures.  By the way, I knew this was really fun when I announced that it was time to get ready for our playground time and no one wanted to go!  I hope you try this and if you do, please let me know how it goes. 

4 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for your great idea! I had a dillema of how to make holes, and the single whole punch is just perfect!
    Here's what we made with PreK in South Korea (see mobile at the end of the post): http://chadwickvisualart.blogspot.kr/2015/03/ci-village-school-art-exhibit-2015.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice Helpful Blog, Best Chino Hills Montessori faculty, observe and meet the wants of every kid in our care, enabling him or her to develop the habits, attitudes, skills and ideas that result in a lifespan of creative thinking and learning.

    ReplyDelete