CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, January 15, 2012

Let it Snow, Let it Snow, Let it Snow!

I wanted to have something extra special for "S" week.  I had read and seen a "sticky table" over at Teach Preschool and ever since I've been dying to try it.  My classroom is small and is also used for Sunday School on the weekends so most of classroom activities have to be stored out of site at the end of each week.  Instead of using a table, I made a sticky box!  OH MY GOODNESS, we loved it!
I hope you can see the large box over on the right.  I filled it with all different kinds of objects (Note: the drinking straws were fun but a bad idea.  Yes, they kept being put in our mouths!)  I just used an old cardboard box destined for the garbage and some very ugly contact paper.  I sprayed the box with a spray adhesive and placed the contact paper, ugly side down, to the box.  I used good 'ole duct tape to secure the paper and carefully peeled the paper off.  The duct tape proof interesting because the children kept trying to stick things to it and seemed to enjoy figuring out that the entire box was not sticky.  Another wonderful moment came when they discovered they could remove the items and then replace them in another spot.  Seriously, this was an amazing activity!  

Well, by now I hope you have seen our wonderful class snowmen!  Here is our garbage bag snowman with his very own University of Alabama Crimson Tide #14 National Championship jersey!  Lucky for me, we were also talking about the number 14! 


Since it was "S" week and I was given some wonderful BIG boxes we also made "Sammy, the Square Snowman"!
Right beside Sammy is our "world's largest snowball". As soon as we read the book, The Biggest Snowball EVER by John Rogan, we all started talking about building one ourselves.  It took quite a bit of teamwork, but it was well worth it.  Our snowball may have started out small but in the end it was over two feet tall and for the state of Alabama, that is one large snowball!

We read another wonderful book entitled Snow Dance by Lezlie Evans.  As a matter of fact, I do believe this was everyone favorite book of the week.  I know I was asked to "re-read" it at least 4 times!  We decided that since we do live in Alabama and snow is rarely ever seen, a snow dance probably wouldn't work.  Instead we made our famous "dancing" snowman. 

  

We call them "dancing snowmen" because the two paper plates are tied together with ribbon and when you hold them up they wiggle and look like they are dancing.  

Another great art activity we did this week was our collage penguin.  We spent the day waddling like penguins and talking about how they cannot fly even though they have wings.  The white belly of the penguins are filled with a variety of different white objects.  Each and every one of our collage penguins seem to take on the personality of the maker.  

Look at this one!  My sweet little "W" was hungry,
so he put some food in his penguin's mouth!

Each month I save one piece of special artwork for our end-of-the-year art show.  This month I kept our hand print snowman.  Each child used the palm of their hand to form a snowman.  Once he dries, we use a variety to hats and buttons to make each on unique.  We used our fingers to add snow all around.

We also used an old make-up brush to brush on more snow at the bottom.
I will add a mat and laminate these special little guys and girls for our our art show!

Our Fabulous Fun Friday arrived way too quickly this week.  We were having so much fun I didn't want anyone to be disappointed.  I think I delivered!  We started our by with something different - sand art!  Everyone covered a black sheet of construction paper with glue.  NO INSTRUCTIONS, just go!
Some used a little.

Some used a LOT!
Next we sprinkled on some sand. 

Finally, we added some paint.  Any color or colors you wanted!



This was extremely messy but a lot of fun! (EDITED 1/19/11 to add photo)  Here is a sample of the final artwork all nice and dry.


Of course snack time on Friday had to be special too!  Our wonderful new assistant director brought in her shaved ice machine for us to use.  
This thing was so much fun.  We all got to have a little shaved ice with our pretzels! 
 Thanks Mrs. Melissa!

Our science experiment for the week was very SPECIAL!  My sweet friend and fellow teacher, Mrs. Christi and I had filled the school's freezers and our home freezers with bowls of water.  We gave the children the large hunks of ice and a cup of rock salt.  Everyone sprinkled the rock salt on the ice and watched.  
OH MY!
As you may know if you live in the northern part of the United States, the rock salt quickly started to eat away at the ice.  We were all amazed.  BUT, we weren't finished (of course not)!  Next, we added some color.
Everyone picked several colors of paint (we used our regular school paint mixed with water) and squeezed on the color.  
The results were spectacular!

Even though they were special we waited about an hour and came back to find . . . .


Needless to say, we were all Surprised!

We ended our very special Snow Week by doing a little "snowman bowling".  Now, I do not have one of those fancy "I-Phones" or "Droids", but as soon as I said we were going to go "snowman bowling" half of my class said they play that game on their parent's phones or I-Pads.  REALLY!?!?!  We didn't use an "I-Phone" but we did use some old Christmas boxes turned into bowling pins.
Let the fun begin!

Our snow week sadly came to an end.  But it was super fun! 

I hope you come back and visit with us again.  Next week we will be talking about solar system.  I can't wait to show you what we will be doing with those big boxes next week!  

13 comments:

  1. Karen you are amazing! Everyday is a fun day with you:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! You guys were BUSY! I just love all your activities. Looks like we did a few of the same things! Oh, and we also have to share our classroom with Sunday School, so I understand what you mean about having to put materials away on Fridays. We do what we have to do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karen, I just found your blog. Wow! I really love the hands-on ideas. I am also a very five-senses based teacher. I just did a post on my blog called "The Button Box," which I thought you'd really like because of the problem with putting everything away. Also, I noticed you mentioned snowmen and penguins in your post - I have some good dances that I'd like to tell you about. "Penguin Dance Chant" by Jack Hartmann can be purchased from his web site, and you can view a video on his site of children doing that penguin dance with Jack. It's so cute for pre-k! The other song is "Six Little Snowmen" by LifeWay Praise Kids - you can buy it on iTunes for a dollar. If you have time, come visit my blog. I have lots of freebies and ideas to share.

    Sharon Dudley, NBCT
    http://teachingwithsight.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. That colored ice science is FABULOUS!! I am so going to try that with my class:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. OK, I'm pretty sure I need to come to AL and join your class. Your ideas are FABULOUS!! My favorite by far is the bowling...I pinned it and shared on Facebook!! I am SO happy to have you sharing with us at Thrifty Thursday and hope you can share every week! Have a fantastic weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cool ideas!

    Fatcheeksnet.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Mrs Karen
    I liked your sticky box it seemed like a lot of fun. Good idea, I can see they lied it.
    10 years
    Kiona
    http://m9-12.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing your ideas! I think I'd like to try to try freezing some ice and adding the colours this week. The kids will love it!
    Corinne - Teach Easy Resources Blog
    I share my ideas here

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well this is indeed a good news! Congratulations on coming up with another product that will make the business grow even more! I am so excited to know what reactions people will have upon hearing the news write my assignment for me because as for me, I felt shocked and happy of course. I honestly wish you all the best.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thankful such an awesome sum for sharing this glorious information! I am envisioning see more posts by you. I like visiting you site since assignment crux uk I always come across interesting articles like this one. Great Job, I greatly appreciate that. Do keep sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is my most memorable visit to your blog, and I am highly dazzled by the articles that you serve. Give satisfactory essay helper uk information for me. Much obliged to you for sharing valuable material. I will be back for the more extraordinary post

    ReplyDelete